I have made nothing, for days and days. In my previous post I said I was inhabiting the Mojo Doldrums (small group of islands populated by burnt-out crafters). Now it feels like the other inhabitants have called a meeting, decided I am some kind of evil spirit sucking the creativity from all of them, and voted to set me adrift in a small boat. Of course the boat is fabulous, fashioned from pipe cleaners and squeezy bottles, covered in glitter and with crochet sails and knitted bedlinen (crafters are kind, after all). I do have a tiny complaint about the practicality of the macramé water bottle though… So, becalmed in a toxic fog of crafter’s block I sat, and tried, but could do nothing. Not even an idea, never mind trying stuff and it going wrong. That would actually be progress, this week!
This evening, a tiny little glimmer. Just a simple card, combining digital content, dies and stamps. I used Serif CraftArtist and resized some of the various Louise Tiler ‘materials’ to make some close-patterned squares, then die cut balloons and gave them glittery cord strings (sorry, Myra, if you read this!). The ’friend’ Altenew stamp and die is one I made a while ago and didn’t use because I messed up the rest of the project. Like that never happens!
That’s all I have. Tonight I plan on drinking the sea water.
The mojo is now requiring CPR. Or maybe it just needs a personality transplant. I have decided to take the pressure off myself, stop fretting about it, chill. It‘s only card and paper after all.
So today it is back to basics. Make something (hopefully) pretty with dies and stamps. That’s it. No rocket science, no lab coat required.
Supplies: the Ton Rose Background stamp; Altenew Cotton Candy ink; Tonic dies – Just for You and the header lattice is part of a set called Ornate Elegance; Xcut dies – for the tiny little hearts; vellum from Woodware
Mojo is now behaving like the sun in Britain this week. Shines weakly for about two minutes then disappears behind angry clouds for ages. So this has been a stop-start project today. I bought this Sizzix die a long time ago for a bargain price but it is a tricky one to use, which I guess is why it was on sale! It cuts all the edges, as opposed to the other ones you can get where you decide whether to leave it in your card or cut it out. So you can’t just use it as a front for a card easily. Normally then, you would place your top cutting edge above your card fold a little, so the cutting edge has nothing to cut. But with this one many of the internal cutting lines are really close (i.e. 2mm!) to the outer line, and the nature of the pattern means this won’t work here either. Finally I decided to try just clearing the card fold with the outer cutting line but placing the fold within the 2mm gap to the inner cutting line and cut through front and back. Fingers crossed!
Literally 20+ times thought two different die cutting machines (one electric, one manual) and it looked like the cut was as good as it was going to get. I should have chosen thinner cardstock, but bearing in mind the amount of card that was going to be cut away I thought something substantial might be a smart move. It was good for the end product but after another 20 minutes snipping carefully away with scissors where it didn’t quite cut through cleanly my sanity had taken a bashing.
I decided to use acetate for a bit of extra support. With the card base being so intricate I plumped for a really simple greeting, ribbon and nothing else. Might go back and add a pearl or two though, not sure.
I like the look of these cards but not the effort involved!
This is the analogy. Think of the teenager surfacing briefly from their room, summoning up half an incoherent sentence before disappearing back into their cave with no indication of when they may re-emerge, or what mood they might be in. Kind? Loving? Fun? Psycho?
This is how my mojo is behaving. Yesterday I thought it was at least making a cameo appearance. Today it came, went, came, went. Do this – yes. Do that – no. I love you! I hate you! Where’s the pizza? You get the picture.
This card should have been simple, but the stamping gave me grief. The background was easy and quick but the coloured flower was stamped many, many times before I produced one I could live with. Not love, but live with at least. But then what next? Suddenly the background looked too harsh, the contrast between colour and mono too strong, and there was no finished design in my head. Faff, faff, and faff some more, and finally we have a card.
The top ¾ are covered with vellum to soften it a bit. I decided to do this AFTER I had stuck the ribbon on. No point in doing things the easy way, right??!
Mojo is grounded without privileges.
Supplies: Altenew Peony Bouquet stamps and Red Cosmos mini ink set; Woodware vellum; American Crafts black card. That’s pretty much it!
Wish it could have been a sampling of mojito instead. Actually I have never tried one. They might taste like toilet cleaner. Also, for the record, I have never tried that either.
My mojo has been totally and completely absent the last couple of days. Not the tiniest, tiniest little bit of inspiration was to be found. Then, today, I saw something in a shop window that was grey and only-just-off white. Whilst not exactly a lightning bolt from the gods of craft – more of a damp bit of kindling that fell off the barbecue really – it has at least started me off again, a bit. A tiny little sapling of mojo in an otherwise barren land. Still think a mojito might have been better.
This is not perfect, but it is a restart, which will do me for now!
I used my Polka Dot stamp from The Ton. The vellum butterflies are made using a really old Cuttlebug set that has one shape die and four embossing folders – brilliant. The smaller butterflies are made using a Martha Stewart punch.