Mother’s Day Cards

Either late, or early depending on where you live!

These are the cards I made for Mother’s Day this year. I waited until after the day as my mother reads all my blog posts. She also still watches to make sure I cross the road safely, and yet this is something I have been accomplishing without incident for years…

For the first I used some Tonic dies I have had for a long time. They are very adaptable as you can cut the hearts out completely or leave them in the card. I decided to make a kind of layered window effect, so the top layer has the larger heart cut into it and the second layer has the smaller sentiment. It doesn’t show up too successfully in my pictures, I’m afraid! As I was going for an all cream card I thought I needed a bit more interested so rummaged through my embossing folder trough and selected one from Sizzix that has some pretty details but is not an all-over pattern. Sometimes a little bit of blank space is good. I tied the ribbon knot and thought I had finished, but then changed my mind and added the trail of pearls too.

mothers day heartmothers day heart 2mothers day floral muse

The second card is made with Dovecraft Floral Muse papers. I know I have used these a few times now, but they are my current ’go to’ when really pretty and feminine patterns are required. I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, but I changed it up a bit and added several details of my own. The various layers of papers were edged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink to give them some definition. Butterflies were fussy cut from one of the pages in the pad and then I spent ages trying to find a good match in my ink colours for the sentiment. Many a green was tried and tossed and finally I went with Brilliance Pearlescent Beige. A few more pearls again (well, why not?) and I was happy. Oh, and another doily from my doily mountain has been used….

Supplies: Dovecraft Floral Muse paper pad; Clearly Besotted Mini Banner stamp and die; Tonic On Mother’s Day Affections Insert die set; Sizzix embossing folder (it has no name on it!); string pearls from The Ribbon Room and individual pearls from Dreamees

 

Advertisements

Another Galaxy…..

This time an overcrowded one. Stars jostling for position. Poking each other and seeing who can twinkle the brightest. And of course there is the big old lairy fella at the end…

Sorry the photo is a bit rubbish, but it was one of those days where the light changed in seconds from too bright (so loads of odd shadows) to gloomier than the inside of an undertaker’s suit pocket.

stars-1

A quick post today. To make this I used two different sets of star dies and a selection of gold and silver card. I then just moved the die cuts about until I was happy with the positioning. Basically I was trying to make sure that there weren’t any odd or ugly shapes or gaps made where the stars or points overlapped. Some are popped up on 3d foam, because I have to. And although it probably means I need to make a box for it now, I deliberately wanted the stars going over the edge of the card, just because I think it looks better really!

This is a card that could probably be rustled up with ready-made supplies from a craft shop. Bags of assorted stars are often available should you feel tempted to pick up a glue stick and get stuck in.

Dies:  Sizzix Bigz Stars and Intricutz Swirling Layered Stars

 

 

Still more or less mojo-less

Mojo is now behaving like the sun in Britain this week. Shines weakly for about two minutes then disappears behind angry clouds for ages. So this has been a stop-start project today. I bought this Sizzix die a long time ago for a bargain price but it is a tricky one to use, which I guess is why it was on sale! It cuts all the edges, as opposed to the other ones you can get where you decide whether to leave it in your card or cut it out. So you can’t just use it as a front for a card easily. Normally then, you would place your top cutting edge above your card fold a little, so the cutting edge has nothing to cut. But with this one many of the internal cutting lines are really close (i.e. 2mm!) to the outer line, and the nature of the pattern means this won’t work here either. Finally I decided to try just clearing the card fold with the outer cutting line but placing the fold within the 2mm gap to the inner cutting line and cut through front and back. Fingers crossed!

Literally 20+ times thought two different die cutting machines (one electric, one manual) and it looked like the cut was as good as it was going to get. I should have chosen thinner cardstock, but bearing in mind the amount of card that was going to be cut away I thought something substantial might be a smart move. It was good for the end product but after another 20 minutes snipping carefully away with scissors where it didn’t quite cut through cleanly my sanity had taken a bashing.

I decided to use acetate for a bit of extra support. With the card base being so intricate I plumped for a really simple greeting, ribbon and nothing else. Might go back and add a pearl or two though, not sure.

see thru Love

I like the look of these cards but not the effort involved!