Murphy’s Law: it happens, deal with it

Maybe don’t publish it though!

This card is a disaster zone. As Murphy’s Law implies, anything which could go wrong, did. Repeatedly. I was initially inspired by the totally fabulous Lydia Evans to use my Altenew stamps as individual images, rather than stamping in layers. Hers was gorgeous, and looked effortless.

Give it a go, I thought.

This is the disaster that I produced:

disaster card

I can’t even use the excuse that I rustled it up in five minutes – it took two evenings of agonising!

I tried stamping the background collage-y bit with various small stamps goodness knows how many times. I knew it would not come easily. For me, ’collage’ is the C word; it strikes fear to the very bone and I just have to approach it sideways on, pretending it isn’t really happening, or have my inhibition stemmed by a white wine or two. Always two, really, to be honest.

Anyway, I thought, give it a go, what can go wrong? I refer you back to the title. Versions 1-4 were all binned. Version 5 was ok. Not great, but ok. Possible workable.

Give it a go, I thought.

Fight the collage demon. So I battled bravely on. Well, I had more wine anyway. Stamped the main image in two shades of ink & cut it out. No problem! Loving it. Sailing through this now! Have mastered collage totally! (Told you about the wine, it had taken effect). Now to choose the background card colour. White, aqua, teal, pink, black, patterned, plain, embossed, all offered up and rejected. Retired to bed in a huff. As Scarlett would say, tomorrow is another day.

Day two. Fresh eyes. Grey would be perfect! I have such trouble finding good grey card that I tend to ration it. I find some. Now it looks better, but still not quite right. Maybe a linear embossing folder for the background?

Give it a go, I thought.

Yep, very happy with that, but now I want to show off the embossing folder a bit more. Should I cut down the “artwork”? (Believe me, I use the term loosely!). Of course I should, and I do. Everything seems grand, for a moment. But then, somehow, the white edges are too raw and unfinished. I don’t want to add another layer of card (too formal). Glitter the edges? No…maybe inking them?

Give it a go, I thought.

Now, aqua or grey ink? Tried aqua on a sample, rejected it. Straight to grey then. Swiped the edges around in the grey pad briefly, and then watched aghast as it bled liberally and unevenly into the ‘stamping card’ I was using and turned the totally neat straight white edges into something that looked like it had been cut whilst suffering from hiccups. In my head it’s another disaster but the inner Jiminy Cricket surfaced and said “It’s a look. You’ve seen it used. It’s fine.”

Give it a go, Jiminy said.

So I put it all together. At least the cheery greeting was achieved without further disappointment. But, to me, it neither one thing nor the other: neither intentionally casual and ‘arty’ nor clean and crisp. I tried sticking a pearl on it in some sad last ditch attempt at salvation. Might as well have stuck it on a warthog and called it Mona Lisa…..

Stop giving it a go, I thought.

And, next time he appears, tell Jiminy to go fetch a tin of tartan paint, I thought.

I have to make it clear, though, the failings and flaws are all mine. I love these stamps: the artwork is gorgeous and great results are totally achievable. The point is, if you don’t get it right, or it is not what you want or had pictured in your head, it isn’t the end of the world and it doesn‘t mean you are rubbish. Another day it will work and you can do the happy stamper dance. Just keep trying stuff. I have made plenty of better examples. Not expert, for certain, but better than this!